Transcendental Performance from Flagship Power Amplifier
Rather than simply offering raw power, the PA-MC5501 is engineered to deliver superior dynamic response and outstanding signal purity. Onkyo’s highly efficient push-pull amplification and WRAT suite work to minimize interference, stabilize the voltage, and boost the current across the unit’s electrical system. Components such as the toroidal transformer, large capacitors, and heavy-duty transistors are all designed to handle very high loads. Audiophile-grade parts-such as gold-plated speaker posts and XLR inputs-are used throughout. The result? Instantaneous response to signal gains, extremely low levels of distortion through the dynamic range, and the sort warmth and clarity only a top-shelf analog amplifier can provide. Paired with a matching Onkyo pre-pro unit, the PA-MC5501’s nine channels and bi-amping capability offer extraordinary set-up flexibility to bring you the ultimate in THX® Ultra2™-certified surround sound.
THX® Ultra2™ Certified
When a home theater component receives THX certification, it is your guarantee that it will accurately present movies the way they were mixed by the filmmaker in the studio. In the case of THX Ultra2 certification—the ultimate benchmark for home audio performance—a power amplifier must offer high-quality, high-output performance for multi-channel playback in large rooms. Among the strict criteria that THX uses for judging the quality of a power amplifier are measurements of continuous power output, distortion levels, and heat generation.
Audiophile Design and Components for High-Power Performance
Like any Onkyo amplifier, the PA-MC5501 is designed to deliver ample power to your speakers, regardless of fluctuations in impedance. What makes the PA-MC5501 our top power amp, though, is the extra attention to parts and construction. A massive toroidal transformer; two 22,000 µF capacitors; large, custom-designed transistors; circuit boards with 70 µm thick copper foil; and low-impedance copper bus plates all work in concert to enhance the power and fidelity of your audio sources. Housed in a highly rigid, anti-resonant steel-plate chassis, the PA-MC5501 also sports audiophile-grade connections: gold-plated XLR inputs; machine-tooled solid brass RCA inputs; and gold-plated, banana plug-compatible speaker posts. From input to output, signal purity is maintained at every stage.
HICC (High Instantaneous-Current Capability)
In order to handle high levels of instantaneous current, the PA-MC5501 incorporates several key design features.
(1) Push-Pull Amplification Design with Three-Stage Inverted Darlington Circuitry
Found only in high-end amplifiers, this ultra-sensitive circuitry reduces distortion by maintaining voltage stability and enhancing transient response.
(2) Improved Board Design
The PA-MC5501 features an improved board design with short signal pathways to reduce electromagnetic interference. The board is also designed to optimize power delivery to the speaker drivers.
(3) Symmetrical Layout
The amplifier design also incorporates a symmetrical alignment of power devices for each channel. With channels built to be identical in terms of electrical, structural, heat-generating, weight, and electromagnetic characteristics, errors in stereophonic playback are minimized.
- THX® Ultra2™ Certification
- WRAT (Wide Range Amplifier Technology)
- Push-Pull Amplification Design with Three-Stage Inverted Darlington Circuitry to Remove Distortion
- All Discrete Output Stage Circuitry
- Massive Toroidal Transformer
- Two Large, Customized, 22,000 μF Capacitors for Effective Power Supply
- Audio-Tuned Reference Capacitors for Each Channel
- Large, Custom-Designed Power Transistors to Drive High Currents
- Low-Impedance, Copper Bus Plates for Perfect Ground Potential
- High-Current, Low-Impedance Circuit Boards with Thick Copper Foil (70 μm)
- Separate Anti-Vibration Panels
- Flat, High-Rigidity, Anti-Resonant Chassis
- Gold-Plated XLR Inputs
- Machined Solid Brass RCA Inputs
- Gold-Plated, Color-Coded, Banana Plug-Compatible, Transparent Speaker Posts
- Multi-Zone Capability (up to Zone 3)*
- Bi-Amping Capability*
- 12 V Trigger Input
- Auto Stand by Function
- Aluminum Front Panel
*Depending on A/V Controller
- 280 W/Ch at 6 Ohms, 1 kHz, 1 Channel Driven, JEITA
- Frequency Response: 5 Hz–100 kHz (+1 dB, -3 dB)
- S/N Ratio: 110 dB (Unbalanced, IHF-A)
- WHD: 435 x 198.5 x 446.5 mm
- Weight: 26.0 kg