30th Anniversary Bookshelf Speaker
While much has changed in the world over thirty years, one thing remains constant: our universal love of music. The soul’s desire to make music and the exquisite joy in listening. And as long as the world is listening, Paradigm will continue to innovate, exploring new ways to convey the unexplainable magic that is music. A breathtaking new aesthetic meets equally breathtaking sound quality in a series that celebrates our roots: two-channel listening. Made in Canada. Hand-polished Dark Garnet Gloss finish.
What is Paradigm’s 30th Anniversary Series
and What Makes it Unique?
A milestone anniversary is a unique opportunity to pause and reflect on what in Paradigm’s case has been a remarkable journey. From modest beginnings in Toronto, Canada, our speakers are now sold on six continents. We have won hundreds of product awards and received thousands of rave reviews. The Paradigm Reference 30th Anniversary Series is meant to commemorate and celebrate that journey. It is a visual, design and technology composite of what we have learned over thirty years. In other words, a labor of love. It is a true limited edition, part of a very small production run. There will be no additional production once quantities run out. And there will never be another series like it.
- P-Be™ Pure-Beryllium Tweeter Domes: Beryllium was first used in our ultra-high-end Signature Series speakers, chosen for its exceptional thermal, physical and mechanical properties. It is lighter than diamond or aluminum with unmatched rigidity. Anniversary Series response is instantaneous and uniform. Elevating the tweeter dome ever so slightly promoted optimal off-axis dispersion.
- Die-Cast Chassis with Diffraction Control Architecture: The die-cast aluminum eliminates flexing and ringing while also providing a heatsink for superior power handling. The anti-diffraction cross-hatching visible across the elegant tweeter panel prevents edge diffraction and other unwanted sound reflections from interfering with sound output.
- Ferro-Fluid Cooled and Damped Motor Structures: Ferro-fluid cooling promotes extended frequency response and superb power handling. High-temperature copper voice coils and ventilated Apical™ formers ensure accuracy, reliability and linearity.
- Powerful Neodymium Magnet Structure: Promotes an extremely high field force in the magnetic gap.
- Vented Soft-Iron Magnetic Pole Piece: Computer-optimized to work in tandem with the magnet to concentrate flux on the voice coil.
- Rear Volume Piece: Shaped and sized to deliver that sought-after ‘rear-chamber’ effect in which opportunities for unwanted resonances to colour output are dramatically reduced by the increase in chamber volume.
- Bass/Midrange Cones: Cone material presents a very high stiffness-to-mass ratio and outstanding internal damping for remarkable clarity, extended bass and a complete absence of unwanted resonances and distortions.
- Patented Overmolded Extreme Low-Density NLC™ Non-Limiting Corrugated TPE Surround*: Without the aid of three bass drivers like its larger sibling, we designed for every low mid and bass advantage in this model. The state-of-the-art thermoplastic elastomer is particularly effective at damping vibrations and unwanted resonances while the patented corrugated design audibly extends the cone’s peak-to-peak excursion in this powerhouse little bookshelf model.
- Durable Nomex® Spiders were tooled for added depth … the restorative force is supremely accurate.
- Die-Cast Aluminum Heatsink Chassis with AVS™ Cooling: The die-cast chassis basket features our trademark AVS™ Airflow Ventilation System forced-air cooling to boost power handling, ensure ultra-low distortion and reliability. CNC- machining ensured a precision fit.
- Injection-Molded Electroplated Phase-Coherent Dust Caps: Critically shaped, the caps contribute to the exceptionally accurate phase response and wide dispersion of the series.
- Oversize Ceramic Magnet with Symmetrical Focused Field Geometry: Low distortion and exceptional linearity, even under extreme operating conditions.
- Advanced Motor Structure: High-temperature multi-layer copper voice coils with ventilated Apical™ formers provide tremendous accuracy, reliability and excellent linear response.
- Vented Soft-Iron Magnetic Pole Piece: FEA-optimized and tooled to support the extended cone excursion.
- Metal Top Plate: FEA-optimized and tooled to support the extended cone excursion.
*Patent #: US D654,479 S.
30th Anniversary Series Crossovers
Paradigm designs, engineers and manufactures drive units with ideal response characteristics. This allows for minimal crossover networks. While this ‘simple’ approach requires greater R&D time, it always produces speakers with superior sonic performance.
Anniversary Series crossovers are highly refined phase-coherent quasi-Butterworth designs, using only hand-selected close-tolerance components including:
- Polypropylene capacitors
- Precision high-power ceramic resistors
- Air-core and laminated silicon steel-core inductors
Drivers and crossovers are internally connected using superior heavy-gauge HPC™ High-Purity Copper wire. High-frequency and low-frequency crossover sections are physically separated to prevent any component inter action. Slopes and crossover points are selected for seamless driver integration, thereby preserving the complex timbral and spatial information of the original performance. Speaker inputs allow for bi-wiring or bi-amplifying using high-power gold-plated input.
Additional High-End Touches
A Paradigm exclusive! Baffle-less technology:
A butyl-rubber driver fastening system in which critically placed isolation inserts and gaskets decouple drivers from the speaker’s enclosure. The result is an unparalleled reduction of driver/enclosure interactions and their associated resonances and vibrations.
Removable Low-Profile Grilles
Although designed to be played with their grilles on, Anniversary Series speakers will sound every bit as clean, clear and transparent when playing with their grilles off.
High-Velocity Low-Noise Aluminum Ports
Bass efficiency and minimum turbulence distortion for cleaner and more articulate bass response.
– Scott Bagby, CEO and Chairman of the Board, Paradigm Electronics Inc.
30-inch Inspiration Stand
To complement the illustrious pedigree of this one-of-a-kind series, we designed an elegant stand. It features a stunning commemorative front trim piece (see photo). Some minor assembly required.
- Heavy-duty steel top plate;
- Weighted base and black painted center post with hidden cable channel in both post and base;
- Four elegant chromed disc feet with a protective rubber backing are designed to accept the adjustable locking spikes. Stable on carpet and hard surfaces, including ceramic and hardwood.
- Laser-etched chromed commemorative 30th Anniversary Series trim piece.
An all-new deep, rich, complex finish
Natural walnut. Of the finest quality. First, we hand sand to smooth perfection. Then we seal. We spray by hand with a custom polyurethane to render the perfect gloss level. Perfection achieved? Not yet. Hand sanding is required again, then the finish checked for imperfections under the most naked, unforgiving light. Additional sealing. Then we cure, a process that requires a minimum of two full days. We stain. Multiple layers of polyurethane … one, two, three, then a fourth coat with which we achieve a 90% gloss level. Why not 100%? 90% is the optimal level, a place where the striking depth and complexities of the wood grain are perfectly revealed without the visual distraction of a 100% reflective glare. Three more days of curing. The sanding starts again. Then we buff to a perfect gloss. From start to finish, one speaker requires a full day’s labour, but the entire finishing process is closer to seven days for each speaker.
Dark Garnet Gloss — exotic, almost monochromatic, from a distance its red gemstone quality is alluring. The closer you get, the more the sensual interplay of light and shadow on the rich walnut wood grain will draw you in.
|Design||2-driver, 2-way, bookshelf/stand mounted.|
|Crossover||3rd-order electro-acoustic at 2000 Hz.|
|Frequency Response On-Axis||±2dB from 54 Hz – 45 kHz|
|Frequency Response 30° Off-Axis||±2dB from 54 Hz – 20 kHz|
|High Frequency Driver||25-mm (1 in) P-Be™ pure-beryllium dome. Ferro-fluid damped and cooled. Neodymium magnet. IMS-SHOCK/MOUNT™ on cabinets and baffle.|
|Midrange Frequency Driver||178-mm (7 in) black-anodized pure-aluminum cone, patented overmolded NLC™ non-limiting corrugated thermoplastic elastomer (TPE) surround, 38-mm (1-1/2 in) voice coil, AVS™ die-cast heatsink chassis. IMS-SHOCK/MOUNT™ on cabinets and baffle.|
|Low Frequency Extension||36 Hz (DIN)|
|Sensitivity Room / Anechoic||92 dB / 89 dB|
|Impedance||Compatible with 8 ohms|
|Suitable Amplifier Power Range||15 – 180 watts|
|Maximum Input Power||110 watts|
|Finishes||Hand-polished Dark Garnet Gloss|
|Weight||24 lbs. (10.7 kg)|
|Dimensions HxWxD||14.625″ × 8.25″ × 13.125″
(37.1cm × 21.0cm × 33.3cm)